Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's about service, not $$$$

There are so many things that some people would like fixed with more money: schools, churches, charities, etc. Sometimes more money is not the solution. A friend back east created a cool thing for my birthday this year. Somehow she asked my friends to contribute to Surfrider Foundation in my name for my birthday instead of buying something. At church we often give an animal through the Heifer Project for Christmas. I know I don't need more stuff. I don't even have room for it. I was graced by not bringing home a second dog at the "lovingallanimals.org" event. We have room, pleanty of it but I don't need another pet.

For the past several years I've been blessed to teach art, drama and music to children all across the valley in an afterschool program. It's great and keeps the arts in the public schools during a recession. Isn't that a dirty word. It doesn't really matter how we got there but people are hurting in some areas right now and in an entittlement world we are finding simple solutions. Some of my kids create a play and take it to their neighbors for Christmas, isn't that a great idea now. Some bake cookies and fudge to sell at their churches. Others take music into rest homes and to shut ins.

Hope you enjoy your turkey. The first Pilgrims (and we are all Pilgrims on a journey) didn't have it so easy. They were in cold and starving while the Native Americans shared their feast and taught them how to survive the winter. Having lived in snow country I can appreciate that. Even the homeless here are not doing so hot. I heard the line up at Shelters is much longer than normal. The Well at the East end of the Valley and Martha's Kitchen a filled to capacity. Many friends will be serving meals during the holidays to the less fortunate.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, we are counting our blessing and enjoying simple pleasures. Our stocking won't be stuffed this year but we will have real love and company in community

No comments: